Overall condition 7.5/10, all functions working, lens and finder are clean and clear, some minor marks from use, comes with 6 months warranty
Serial number Body:3176630
The AE-1 and AE-1 Program were both enormous financial successes for Canon, in part because they pioneered cost-cutting measures that competitors had difficulty matching. The AE-1 series of cameras employed plastics and metalized plastics pervasively in its assemblies, whereas its big brother the A-1 was built far more robustly with machined gears. As a result, the AE-1 often suffers from shutter squeal, or worse, catastrophic failure that is not economically repaired. Despite this, because of its relative scarcity and historical popularity, the AE-1 Program retains value on the used market according to KEH and other various dealer pricing data. Auction Price Tracker (apt) has exact price details about the AE-1
- DOF pre-view: button on the right of the lens flange
- Lens release: press the silver button on the lens and turn to anti-clockwise
- Focusing: manual, via Canon standard split image rangefinder with microprism collar
- Shutter: cloth focal plane electronic shutter travelled horizontally, speeds: 2-1/1000 +B; setting : dial on left of the top plate
- Shutter release: on the top plate, w/ cable release socket, w/ lock lever, L means the shutter locked; when on A, pressing half way, the meter is readable in the finder
- Cocking lever: 120° stroke (partial strokes enabled). Ready position at 30°.
Canon Winder A optional for power winding
- Frame counter: counts up, auto-reset, on the top plate
- Viewfinder: fixed eye-level SLR pentaprism, split-image rangefinder encircled by microprism rangefinder at center with a fresnel matte screen. Exposure meter needle, aperture scale, over-exposure warning zone, stopped-down aperture metering needle and battery check indicator, and under-exposure warning LED and Manual control (M) signal are visible
- Exposure meter: center-weighted CdS meter with shutter-priority automatic exposure, full-aperture TTL metering
- Film speed range: 25-3200 ASA; setting: lift the knurled ring on the winding button and then set. If the speeds dial turns when you setting the ASA, turn it to B or 1000.
- Metering range: EV 1-18 at 100 ASA/ISO
- Exposure setting: shutter priority auto; set to A, while pressing the AE lock button on the lens turn the aperture ring of the lens; needle pointing along a vertical f-stop scale on the right side of the viewfinder. Shutter release lock lever must be on A.
- Manual: TTL stopped-down match needle manual metering
- Back-light control switch: silver button, on the right of the lens flange
- Exposure compensation range: +1.5 EV.
- Exposure preview switch: black button, on the right of the lens flange
- Re-wind lever: folding cranck, on right of the top plate
- Re-wind release: small knob on the bottom plate
- Flash PC socket: Flash sync 1/60, auto-switching
- Hot-shoe: the dedicated flash units are Speedlites
- Self-timer: release lock lever sets to S , then release the shutter, the red LED blinks when self timer working; before the shutter release, you can cancel it by pressing the battery check button
- Back cover: hinged, remowable, w/ memory slot
- Engraving on the bottom plate: Canon, Japan
- Tripod socket: ¼"
- Strap lugs
- Body: metal; Weight: 798g (with standard lens)
- Battery: 4LR44 6V battery or 4x LR44 1.5 V batteries
Attention: the camera is fully battery dependant
- Battery chamber: on front of the camera
- Battery check: black button beside the re-wind lever. If the battery is in very good condition, in the viewfinder, metering needle stays below the index near 5.6. If it stays on index, it is in low condition and over the index the battery must be replaced.
- On/off switch: shutter release lock lever must be on L
- The winder terminals and coupling sockets are in the bottom plate.
- Serial no. on the top plate
Instagram sample photo credit: